Pumpkin Chili Recipe:
3 Cups Roasted Pie Pumpkin (roast in the oven until soft)
1 lb Ground Meat (we used Turkey for the party, but I also use beef)
*Sub 2 15 oz cans of beans for veggie Chili*
1 cups (or to taste) Green Chilies (if it is Chili season, so get some freshly roasted green chilies. If it is off season, you can usually get Poblanos at the grocery store or canned/ frozen.
1 T Chili Powder mix (We used a mix from Natural Grocers, it has Chili Pepper, Cumin Seed, Oregano Leaf, and garlic. You can use this or the separate spices)
1 T Smoked Paprika
4 Cups or more Broth (veggie, store bought or homemade Nutritional Broth)
Salt to taste
1) Roast Pumpkin, peel, and chop roughly
2) Cook Meat, onions, salt and spices until meat is cooked. Use the pot you will be cooking the chili in.
3) Add garlic and green chilies, cook until combined.
4) Add pumpkin, cook until combined.
5) Add broth. (The amount of broth here can vary, 4 Cups will make this more strew-like, and more broth will make it more soupy.)
6) Let the soup simmer on low until Pumpkin is soft and become more integrated into soup.